The PTA: Why You Should Join and What We Do
what is the pta?
The MPE Parent-Teacher Association is a group formed by parents of MPE families and by MPE staff that works to support students, families and staff at the school, outside of the services offered through the Wake County Public School District.
At MPE, the main focus of our PTA has always been academic support for the school: we strive to provide our students with an enhanced learning experience. We are able to provide our teachers, staff and students with resources well above and beyond what is normally supplied. Read below to see where PTA funds go - from past projects to services and programs provided every year.
MPE PTA is run by a board of directors that is voted in every spring. The board meets on a monthly basis and the minute meetings are available here. All of their work is done on a volunteer basis. There is a general PTA membership meeting in the fall - the annual budget is ratified at this meeting.
Join the PTA. Make your voice heard on issues that shape the culture and climate of our school. Vote on important PTA decisions throughout the year.
How do i join?
Click here or follow these steps:
1 - Log into your Membership Toolkit account (create a free one if you have not done so already).
2 - Click on "My Account".
3 - Click on "My Forms/Paperwork".
4 - Click on "2021-2022 MPE PTA Membership Form".
5 - Complete the form and your PayPal payment - dues are $15 per year. Submit your form.
Do i need to join every year?
Once you have a Membership Toolkit account, you should update your child's classroom information each year (this helps with things such as yearbook and spirit wear delivery). To continue to be an active member of MPE PTA, you need to pay your dues each year. The PTA membership form for the year opens in July.
What has the pta done at Mpe?
Our PTA helped fund and helps fund the following projects/resources:
- Teacher grant money (over $13,000 per year) to provide classroom resources (eg. alternative seating, science experiment supplies, instructional resources, etc.)
- New books in the library and classrooms resulting in 27% more books in MPE than in the average Wake County school
- New equipment and technology (eg. new Promethean boards in all classrooms) resulting in double the ratio of devices per student compared to Wake County and triple compared to the state of North Carolina
- Funding for the Science Fair, Spelling Bee, Odyssey of the Mind, Battle of the Books, Reflections
- 4 to 5 Cultural Arts programs per year
- Professional development funding for teachers
- New playground structure
The PTA embraces our community of families and teachers, hosting fun events and providing resources for students, their families, our teachers and staff such as:
- Fall Outdoor Movie Night
- Book Fair Story Night
- Doughnuts with Grownups
- Teacher/Staff Holiday Cookie Exchange
- Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week
- Welcome Bags for incoming kindergarten students
- Walk-to-school Day
- Nourishing Noggins Program
- Mills Park Maniacs Marathon
- Inflatables for Field Day
how does the pta raise funds?
PTA dues are only a small part in how it all works. Our largest fundraisers are Boosterthon, our Book Fair and Spring Carnival. Read more about these on our Fundraising page.
We hope that our impact is clear and that you will join us in our efforts to make MPE the best school it can be!
Want to know more? Useful Links:
North Carolina PTA Website – Every child. One voice.