Welcome to the Room Parent Corner. This page is split into two sections:
Thank you for volunteering to be a Room Parent for your child's classroom. We will post important information here as it becomes available.
Room Parent Documents and Links
Responsibilities of a 2021-2022 Room Parent - scroll down to "Learn More About Being a Room Parent"
Raffle Basket Teams for 2022 Spring Carnival - document pending
Silent Auction Donation Letter 2022 - document pending
Character Education program - this program is currently on hold until volunteers are allowed into the building
www.giftcrowd.com - an easy way to organize a group gift; create a "gift" to be delivered by email on a certain date and send the link to your classroom parents; parents can donate directly to the website; upon receipt of the "gift", your teacher can then purchase gift cards at a number of stores.
- sign up to be a room parent
- meet/email co-room parents and decide how you will share the duties
- create a mailing list for your classroom and introduce yourself to your classroom
- discuss with your child's teacher expectations for Learning Experiences as well as any other type of support that is needed
- attend Room Parent meeting - date TBD (late Sept-early Oct)
During the school year:
- forward emails to classroom parents about PTA events
- (plan Learning Experiences according to teacher's guidelines) - at the moment, visitors/volunteers are not allowed in the building.
- (make Character Education sign-up) - this program is currently on hold until volunteers are allowed in the building
- consider/organize class gift for homeroom teacher and instructional assistant
- organize class-specific gift/events for Staff/Teacher Appreciation Week
- organize raffle basket team with fellow Room Parents
- collect donations for raffle basket
- consider/organize end-of-year class gift for homeroom teacher and instructional assistant
Learning Experience Ideas
Short on time to plan a Learning Experience? Need ideas of games/crafts/snacks that have worked previously? In order to make planning easier, send in your previous LE ideas to email@example.com and we will post them here as a reference for Room Parents.
Kindergarten Learning Experience Ideas
New to MPE? Never been a Room Parent? No problem, keep reading to learn about being a Room Parent.
What is a Room Parent?
A Room Parent is a volunteer with 2 main roles. The first role is to act as a communicator between the PTA and your child's classroom parents. Pertinent and time-sensitive information will be emailed from the PTA board to Room Parents who are then needed to forward this information onto their classroom parents. This ensures that the PTA is able to reach all MPE families. The second role is to provide support to your classroom teacher.
More specifically, Room Parent duties can include the following:
- donation collection from classroom parents for raffle baskets in the spring. Your classroom will be teamed up with 1 or 2 other classrooms to create a themed raffle basket. Amongst your team of room parents, you can decide who will take the lead on emailing parents, on collecting money or items, on putting together the basket.
- gift money collection for homeroom teacher's holiday or end-of-year gift
- planning of 2 or 3 Learning Experiences during the course of the school year (will depend on your teacher's wishes). Learning Experiences are about an hour to an hour and a half of fun for a classroom typically including a craft, a snack and a game. Formats vary according to grade and teacher. Room Parents come up with ideas then create sign-ups for parents to contribute materials and for parents to attend and supervise the Learning Experience itself.
- creation of a sign-up for parents to volunteer to run Character Education sessions. More information about this can be found here.
- teacher support (directed by your child's teacher). Eg. creating sign-ups for classroom supplies that are needed, creating sign-ups for "mystery readers", organizing a parent directory early in the year, etc.
Each classroom would ideally have one Lead Room Parent and one or two Co-Room Parents in order to keep all MPE families informed about PTA-led events and projects and to share the above-mentioned tasks.