volunteers for weekly food bag preparation
We are looking for volunteers to take on the weekly food bag preparation through the end of the school year. You can sign up here for one week or multiple weeks. We are also looking for various groups (Girls/Boy Scouts, Y! Guides, sports teams, etc.) or individuals to donate and pack food for each week. The Nourishing Noggins program can cover the cost of some or all of the food items depending on your participation level. If you simply want to shop and pack the bags then Nourishing Noggins will reimburse you for 100% of the food cost. We estimate $150 per week. You may also wish to purchase the items and not use Nourishing Noggins funds, that of course is great as well.
Here is what is involved:
1) Collect/Purchase food for 20 families - Walmart Grocery offers online ordering and free pickup. Their store brand, Great Value, is very reasonable. Ask for extra plastic bags at checkout. Please try to avoid pork products if possible. Here's what goes into each bag:
- 2 canned proteins (tuna, pinto beans, chicken, ravioli, etc.) ~15 ounce cans
- 2 canned vegetables (green beans, corn, mixed vegetables, etc) ~15 ounces
- 1 single served fruit (canned fruit, squeeze applesauce, jello, fruit cups, raisin etc.) Individual applesauce pouches or raisins are ideal.
- 2 shelf stable milk boxes 8 ounces
- 1 100% juice box Individual juice box/pouch
- 2 noodles (ramen noodles, macaroni and cheese) Ramen: 3 ounces, Mac Cheese box (3 servings)
- 2 individual breakfast items (oatmeal, grits) 2 packets (Individual serving size)
- 2 healthy snacks (granola bars, microwave popcorn etc.) Individual granola bars/snacks
2) Pack the plastic bags - double bagged and tied at the top.
3) Drop off the bags at MPES on Thursdays - You can pull up to the front of the school from 930 to 3pm. The school counselors will have a cart at the entrance of the school. You can use the cart to help you get the bags from the car to the outside of the front school doors. Just leave the bags on the cart and school counselors will bring them into the school.
4) If you would like to be reimbursed for the food items, please submit your receipt. Scan/take a photo of your receipt and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.